[Phylobase-devl] Compilation woes

Brian O'Meara bcomeara at nescent.org
Mon Aug 4 05:26:46 CEST 2008

Thanks for looking into this, Steve and Ben. If it is just a matter of
old files not being rewritten properly, this should be able to be
taken care of in the Makefile (effectively, make clean first). I'll
check it out some more.

For my  part, I think keeping the NCL in phylobase makes a lot of
sense. For casual users, a key point of interest in phylobase seems to
be the ability to read data from Nexus files, so keeping NCL in it
will make it more popular. This might translate into getting more
developers to adopt it. Also, Ben's point about removing the NCL from
phylobase decreasing the urgency of doing something about it is a good
one -- knowing how I operate, it's more likely that I'd fix NCL faster
as part of a development community where NCL failures might hold up
development than if I were developing it separately. Of course, if NCL
repair is still too slow even with this encouragement, it'd argue for
splitting the code.

For getting trees into phylobase from Nexus files, the tree files are
actually first processed with the NCL code, then strings are passed
from that to the read.nexustreestring function. This should
theoretically allow somewhat more robust handling of Nexus tree files
than just reading them directly through ape-derived functions, but I
don't remember showing this with example files that will work with NCL
but not with ape, and so I agree with Steve that ape-based tree
reading functions could be used instead of NCL without much loss of
functionality. Another issue is that ape's read.nexus function just
gets DNA-formatted characters from a Nexus file: the readwithNCL code
can read DNA, other molecular characters, continuous characters, and
discrete characters (as factors, with options for dealing with missing
states). Recoding ape's function to deal with these character types
might be more of a pain than getting NCL to compile properly on Linux.
On the other hand, NCL inputs are converted to phylo4 and phylo4d
objects using those objects' constructors,  so the functions that read
Nexus files with the NCL will still work in an S4-appropriate way even
if put into a separate package.

While we're talking about phylobase future development, Marguerite and
I ran into a few functions that students would have liked to have in
phylobase while coding: pre- and post-order tree traversal, a function
to test a node to see whether it's the root, and an accessor to return
the length of an edge given a node name or number. Overall, the
students seemed to like phylobase, which is certainly encouraging.

Thanks again,
Brian