[Phylobase-devl] Compilation woes

Brian O'Meara bcomeara at nescent.org
Sun Aug 3 17:35:49 CEST 2008

Phylobase is no longer compiling for Linux on R-Forge. The errors
we're getting are in code that hasn't changed in several months. You
can see the build failures by going to the phylobase build page ( http://r-forge.r-project.org/R/?group_id=111
  ), clicking on R.check, and then clicking on the error file. The two
main errors are of the types
Rcpp.cpp:885: error: 'strlen' is not a member of 'std'
[with additional errors for strcpy and strcat] and
nxsdiscretematrix.h:52: error: 'UINT_MAX' was not declared in this scope
with that error occurring in other files, too.
I've tried poking around a bit, but I am having trouble identifying
and fixing the actual error. I emailed R-forge for help, and got the
following reply.
Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks,
Brian

Support item #179, was opened at 2008-07-29 23:35

Initial Comment:
We are running a class using phylobase. We patched an error in the
trunk eight days ago. Some of the students who downloaded the package
three days ago had the fixed version, the others did not. To fix this,
two days ago we updated the project version in its DESCRIPTION to
0.3-1, so we could track which students have which version upon
updating their packages. Users on Windows, linux, and some macs can't
get the newest version, while others can. The .tar.gz file is actually
empty (see link from URL http://r-forge.r-project.org/R/?
group_id=111 ), which might be the cause of the problem. Users trying
to install using the GUI in Mac R have a link to 0.3-1 if they want to
download from binary but 0.3 if they try to install from source.