[MonetDB.R] MonetDB.R 0.9

Hannes Mühleisen Hannes.Muehleisen at cwi.nl
Wed Feb 19 13:03:21 CET 2014

Hello MonetDB.R users,

I would like to announce that the new version of MonetDB.R (0.9) was
just accepted to CRAN after various rounds of testing.

The biggest change is that monet.frame has been moved to GitHub [1] and
became a separate package. The idea here is that the base connector
which provides SQL-level connectivity to MonetDB should be slowly
approaching a stable status, while the features on top of that such as
monet.frame and possibly soon dplyr are independent. Also, the
overloading tricks that monet.frame pulls have been found to be breaking
other people's code.

There has also been a small change in dbWriteTable(), we now use the SQL
type STRING (a.k.a. CLOB) for R string columns ("character"). The reason
for this is that we cannot come up with a reasonable character limit for
VARCHAR by reading the first few rows of a file.

A new feature concerns those of you who use multiple databases managed
by monetdbd, the MonetDB daemon. The available databases as well as
their various properties can now be queried using the
monetdbd.liststatus() function. Please note that you will have to
configure monetdbd accordingly, see ?monetdbd.liststatus for details.

Apart from this, there have been many bugfixes and small changes, thanks
to all of you who reported bugs and helped fixing them.

All the best,

Hannes

[1] https://github.com/hannesmuehleisen/monet.frame