[Mediation-information] Multilevel analysis for complex surveys

Angel Rodriguez angel.rodriguez at matiainstituto.net
Tue Aug 26 19:36:15 CEST 2014

Thank you very much, Kentaro.

Angel

-----Mensaje original-----
De: Kentaro Hirose [mailto:hirose at Princeton.EDU]
Enviado el: mar 26/08/2014 19:02
Para: Angel Rodriguez; mediation-information at r-forge.wu-wien.ac.at
Asunto: RE: Multilevel analysis for complex surveys

Hi Angel,

> I don't understand why in med.fit the term related to the clustering units is (1|SCH_ID), while (1 + attachment|SCH_ID) is the term in the out.fit.

This is just fitting a varying-intercept model for the mediator and a varying-intercept-and-slope model for the outcome. You could also fit two varying-intercept models for both the mediator and outcome. And similarly, you could also fit two varying-intercept-and-slope models for both the mediator and outcome. It's all up to your theory.

> My first question is if I should use mediation with glmer.

If your dependent variable is binary and you want to use a multilevel model, then you should use glmer.

Best,
Kentaro Hirose

Postdoctoral Fellow
Department of Politics