[Mediation-information] Interaction between exposures?

Mashhood Sheikh senor_massao at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 5 02:50:35 CET 2013

Dear Kosuke,

Thank you very much for the reply. Please, let me confirm if I understand it correctly. You mean making a four category variables out of the two binary exposure variables as:

Reference: where X1=0 AND X2=0
Dummy1: where X1=1 AND X2=0
Dummy2: where X1=0 AND X2=1
Dummy3: where X1=1 AND X2=1

This means I will be running three mediation models (3 dummy's against the reference), and will get three natural direct, natural indirect, and total effects? That is if all the three comparisons are important? Please confirm.

Is there any solution about estimating one direct/indirect/total effect in a situation like this?

Thankfully,
Mashhood
Institute of Community Medicine,
University of Tromsø,