[Mediation-information] Question about results from R mediation package

Teppei Yamamoto teppei at MIT.EDU
Thu Apr 12 06:28:47 CEST 2012

Hi Alex,

Kosuke is right about the scale of the output. That is, the effect
represents the average difference in the time until death between the
treatment and control conditions, decomposed into indirect and direct
components.

Looking at your code, I think you are not correctly using the
"covaritates" argument in the mediate function --- you don't have to
write out those variable names unless you want to make inferences
conditional on specific values of those covariates. This is sometimes
called the "moderated mediation" analysis by psychologists. See the help
file, especially the example section.

In your message, you say at the beginning that your treatment is
continuous but then you ask a question about a categorical treatment
variable. Regardless, you can specify a specific contrast using the
"treat.value" and "control.value" arguments. Again please refer to the
help file.

Best,
Teppei

Teppei Yamamoto