[Ipmpack-users] IPM's for long-lived trees

Carin carinswart at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 14:25:50 CEST 2017

Dear IPM Users

I am relatively new to the IPM methods but have chosen it as a preferred
method to traditional MPM's due to the nature of the species I am studying.
I apologize if my query seems simple.

I have collected 4 years of demographic data for a critically endangered
extremely slow growing cycad. Over this time, it was not possible to detect
any change in size (height and/or dbh). I therefore do not have the data to
enter into the sizeNext column. I would like to use size as an indication
of potential growth. I do however have very good data for survival (before
and after fire) as well as fecundity (reproductive status, seedling
recruitment etc). Any growth potential would be extremely small (less than
1 cm every couple of years or so).

I have read the paper by Zuidema et al.(2010) where this problem is
addressed. I am finding it really difficult to figure out exactly how this
issue was solved. I have looked at the Appendix S1 but do not know enough
about forestry science to figure out how the Hossfeld equation was used in
this respect. I have height and dbh measurements for each plant but cannot
determine age by any means.

Any practical advice on this matter would be much appreciated.

Carin