[Ipmpack-users] NA and lambda problems

Eelke Jongejans e.jongejans at science.ru.nl
Wed Feb 11 18:38:27 CET 2015

Dear Elena,

thank you for your question and for showing a subset of your data.

ad 2: It might be that you have rethink how you are breaking down sexual
reproduction in your system into separate steps. How are your 'number of
flowers' and 'number of fruits' variables related? Does every fruit
result in a new, established plant by the end of the time step? If so,
then I can imagine that your population is exploding in size.

On the other hand, if the number of fruits per flower is a constant, it
should be added with the 'fecConstants' argument in 'makeFecObj'. Also
the per-seed-seedling-establishment-rate can be added in 'fecConstants'.
Good that you studied the second chapter of the appendix to Merow et al.
2014, which contains an example with IPMpack-code that seems relevant
for your species as well: http://tinyurl.com/ndkh99r

Perhaps it is a good idea to discuss your species' life cycle with your
advisors.

best wishes,
Eelke

PS: ad 1: It might be that you have rather few deaths in your dataset,
making it hard for binomial regression models to fit all parameters.
However, it might also be that you are having difficulties with reading
your data into R, unrelated to IPMpack.