[inlinedocs] Enquiry related to the formatting of the usage tag

Toby Dylan Hocking Toby.Hocking at inria.fr
Fri Jan 13 10:28:56 CET 2012

Hi Mark, how's it going? Thanks for your interest in inlinedocs.

I understand your concern with the formatting of the usage tag. We
added the returns after every comma in the usage section because the
default format section generated using the regular package.skeleton()
leaves really long lines which run off the page and are unreadable in
the PDF version of the manual.

But your concern is valid and I guess we should have more intelligent
or perhaps configurable line breaks. At this stage of inlinedocs
development the code that processes the usage section is not very
configurable, but if you want to have a look at it, search for the
comment "Fix usage" in inlinedocs/R/package.skeleton.dx.R. The best
solution I could come up with is to use R to parse() the expression in
the \format{} tag, then use the automatic line breaks provided by
using format() on the parsed R code. This new code has been checked
into SVN, so you can try the new version immediately by downloading

svn checkout svn://svn.r-forge.r-project.org/svnroot/inlinedocs

and installing

R CMD INSTALL inlinedocs/pkg/inlinedocs

Tell us if this works out for you.