[inlinedocs] first impressions...

Cook, Malcolm MEC at stowers.org
Sat Apr 30 01:56:38 CEST 2011

Hi,

I'm new to R but old to emacs and lisp.

I just found inlinedocs and think it is "the way".

I have a few observations / questions:

I often write multi-paragraph ###descriptions of my functions.  I separate them with empty '###' lines so I can text justify them individually (using fill <meta-q>).  But, only the first paragraph finds its way into the pdf.  Any suggestions here?

I find that your suggested use of "structure(function" to provide ex attributes causes an emacs ess-beginning-of-function (C-M-a) error "Point is not in a function according to 'ess=-function-pattern' .
Similar error occurs when adopting your placement conventions for "Custom Title".
I like these ideas though.  Do you have a workaround?

Where you write "To add inline examples for FUN, use the "ex" attribute of FUN, as shown below." - is it intended that such examples find their way into the manual?  Into the EX

I think I have an errata for page http://inlinedocs.r-forge.r-project.org/.  Where you write:
	*	You can add a description of a data item declared in your code by adding a ### comment on the line before the variable is first declared.
I think you mean "...on the line AFTER the variable ..."
no?

Are there any plans to integrate with svUnit in any manner?  Perhaps by creating

Some comments about the generated pdf manual:
	If there are MANY depends, the text in the manual should wrap.
    	The 'Usage' gets clipped if it is too long.  It should probably wrap, broken on comma.

Inlinedocs will greatly ease my introduction to the world of R library management and creation.  Thanks much.

Malcolm Cook
Stowers Institute for Medical Research -  Bioinformatics
Kansas City, Missouri  USA