[GSoC-PortA] Problem with ROI solvers?

Ross Bennett rossbennett34 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 28 22:54:10 CEST 2013

Peter,

I suspected this might be the case and did confirm it for the results in
the mean-StdDev space. The plot is using the objective measures from the
extractStats output of the EqmETL.RND object and these are calculated with
clean="boudt" whereas the buoys.portfmeas as well as MinSD.ROI are
calculated with clean="none".

>From the graph, it looks like the minimum StdDev for the random portfolios
is 0.0095. This is close to the result I get with the following test:

> R.clean <- Return.clean(R=R, method="boudt")
>
> tmpSD <- vector("numeric", length=nrow(rp))
> tmpSDcleanR <- vector("numeric", length=nrow(rp))
> for(i in 1:nrow(rp)){
+   tmpSD[i] <- StdDev(R=R, weights=rp[i,])
+   tmpSDcleanR[i] <- StdDev(R=R.clean, weights=rp[i,])
+ }

> min(tmpSD)
[1] 0.01020511
> min(tmpSDcleanR)
[1] 0.009514874
> as.numeric(MinSD.ROI$objective_measures)
[1] 0.01009001

Ross