[GSoC-PortA] Mean-mETL objective?

Ross Bennett rossbennett34 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 7 21:02:19 CEST 2013

see comments inline

On Mon, Oct 7, 2013 at 8:51 AM, Doug Martin <martinrd at comcast.net> wrote:

> Ross,****
>
> ** **
>
> OK, I see what you mean.   Do keep in mind the following:****
>
> ** **
>
> **1)      **Before a search is done the code should check that the mean
> return of the global minimum ETL (under constraints) – I call this GMETL is
> less than the risk free rate (which may be zero by default).  Otherwise the
> search is useless as there is no tangent portfolio (well I have to be a
> little careful, this is definitely the case for the MVO efficient frontier
> without constraints and most likely with most constraints, and ditto for
> the mean-ETL efficient frontier).  By this ratio is known as the STARR
> ratio in the literature.

 Thanks for the suggestion, I'll add the check. To clarify, I think you
mean that the mean return of the GMETL portfolio should be greater than the
risk-free rate, correct?

> ****
>
> ** **
>
> **2)      **If in your second paragraph do you mean that is the default
> behavior?  If so there should be a default argument whose default is
> “maxSTARR”, but the user should also be able to choose GMETL.

 Correct. If the portfolio has two objectives, mean and ES, then the
optimal portfolio will be the max STARR portfolio. If the user just wants
the GMETL portfolio, the portfolio should only have a single objective for
ETL.

I did make it possible to pass in maxSTARR=TRUE or maxSTARR=FALSE in the
dots in optimize.portfolio. I did the same for max sharpe ratio (maxSR).
This is important to have for the quadratic utility case because the user
may want to specify a risk_aversion parameter and get the optimal portfolio
at the given risk_aversion parameter. Setting maxSR=TRUE would override any
risk_aversion parameter and find the max sharpe ratio portfolio, so I made
maxSR=FALSE the default.