[GSoC-PortA] Mean-mETL objective?

Ross Bennett rossbennett34 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 7 02:55:34 CEST 2013

It will be nice if there is a simple way to formulate this as an LP problem
to maximize mean/ETL. If there is not a simple formulation, one way to
approach this would be similar to finding the tangency portfolio on the
efficient frontier. Generating a finite number of portfolios along the
frontier and finding the portfolio with the highest mean/ETL will find the
approximate tangency portfolio and is what I do for the efficient frontier
code.

Step 1: Calculate the minimum ETL portfolio given the constraints. This is
the minimum possible mean return.

Step 2: Calculate the maximum return portfolio given the constraints. This
is the maximum possible mean return.

Step 3: Increase or decrease the target return constraint and run the
optimization.

Repeat step 3 until we get convergence within a specified tolerance or
reach the maximum number of iterations.

I'm not sure what the right approach or method would be for step 3. Maybe
split the frontier in two equal spaces and iteratively shrink the search
space until we find a solution.

Am I on the right track here? Any thoughts on how to do step 3?

Thanks,
Ross