[GSoC-PortA] ROI status

Stefan Theussl stefan.theussl at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 15:07:28 CET 2013

Hi,

first of all let me wish you a happy thanksgiving!

Back to the topic:

I just submitted ROI and plugins to CRAN. They will soon distribute through
the network. I managed to fix the variable bounds issue with the quadprog
plugin. I simply had to translate Inf to .Machine$double.xmax in one of the
plugin routines. that was all.

I hope everything checks fine in your test battery now. At least the one
example you provided and a couple of examples on my side do. Otherwise,
please just drop me an email. I am happy to improve the package and provide
releases in a higher frequency from now on. I and colleagues here at the
bank started to use ROI in backtests as well, so it should become well
tested soon. However, I advice you to cross check results. The ROI is still
experimental.

User visible changes:
o "bounds" are defined using a constructor called V_bound(). Corresponding
class has a print method now.
o in many cases the return value has an additional slot in attribute meta
(see attr( result, "meta" )$solver_return_object in the example you
provided) which includes the solution in the original solver format. More
information about the solution is provided.
o improved print methods
o a lot of changes behind the scenes

o (currently not exported) compute the solvers capable to solve a given OP
named x: ROI:::get_solver_methods( ROI:::OP_signature(x) ).

Best,
st