[GSoC-PortA] mapping function

Brian G. Peterson brian at braverock.com
Sat Jun 29 23:13:36 CEST 2013

You're absolutely on the right track, except for this one part:
* if a constraint is violated, omit that set of weights

Depending on your constraints, your chance of constructing a valid
portfolio may be very very slim.

In random portfolios, we could try this, just keep drawing until you get
ones that match, but this could take forever.

In stochastic solvers, you typically only have support for box
constraints, so again your chance of having truly feasible vectors is
pretty small in many cases.

This leads to the need for a transformation function, to bring a
random/stochastic weights vector into compliance, or close, with
all/most of your constraints.

In DEoptim, we added the possibility of fnMap to be called directly on
each generation's population, to 'fix' the random population and give it
a full population.

In PortfolioAnalytics, we can support an 'fnMap'-like transform directly
in DEoptim and in random portfolios.

We can support it *indirectly* for any arbitrary solver inside
constrained_objective (as long as we can store the transformed weight
vector to know what the objective was actually calculated on, which we
can get to later).

So i think we still need to write a fnMap transform function.

some other notes:
You're correct that volatility is usually dealt with as an objective.
In fact, since it requires returns, I only think of this as an objective.

Diversification I need to look at and see what you're calling
'diversification' to see if that requires the returns, or if it is just
a measure of *weights* concentration, that word can mean either.

Turnover can be handled either as an objective or as a constraint.

Penalization is likely necessary in constrained_objective when we have
to relax constraints somewhat to get to anything feasible, hopefully
Doug can provide more guidance here, as the literature on relaxing
constraints is pretty thin, to the best of my knowledge.

Regards,

Brian

Brian G. Peterson
http://braverock.com/brian/