[GSoC-PortA] min/max objectives

Brian G. Peterson brian at braverock.com
Fri Jun 28 20:05:27 CEST 2013

I saw commit r2463, and I thought I'd comment that something looks off.

right now, with targets on objectives, we're trying to get as close to
the target as possible.

With min/max ranges for objectives, I think we would penalize if and
only if the objective is outside the min or the max.

if (!is.null(objective$min) & !is.null(objective$max)){
   # we have a min and max
   out = out + penalty * objective$multiplier *
        ((tmp_measure - objective$max) + (objective$min - tmp_measure))
}

This code seems to always penalize.

I haven't run it, so I may be reading it wrong, but it seems that
supporting this would require you to first test for being outside the
range, and *then* penalize the objective if and only if outside the range.

Regards,

Brian

--
Brian G. Peterson