[GSoC-PortA] Quick question on multipliers and constrained_objective()

Ross Bennett rossbennett34 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 24 03:35:08 CEST 2013

Professor Martin,

I look forward to your feedback after you have a chance to run the
testing_ROI_Martin.R script.

See a few additional comments below.

Ross Bennett

On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 7:28 PM, Doug Martin <martinrd at comcast.net> wrote:

> Ross and others,****
>
> ** **
>
> I will check this out.  Meanwhile I offer a few comments below.****
>
> ** **
>
> Thanks,****
>
> Doug****
>
> ** **
>
> ** **

[Ross] Brian mentioned "templated" objective functions in an earlier email
and I think this could be part of doing that and should be fairly easy to
implement.

> ****
>
> ** **
>
> If "mean" is specified as the only objective, then the plug-in selected is
> glpk for Rglpk_solve_LP to maximize return.****
>
> *[Doug] Good*****
>
> ** **
>
> If "CVaR" is specified as the only objective, then the plug-in selected is
> glpk for Rglpk_solve_LP to minimize sample CVaR.****
>
> *[Doug] Good.  I would prefer to use the term ETL.  This is just my
> habit, but I must say that CVaR was a bad naming choice by R&S,*
>
> *the reason being that the literal translation “conditional VaR” is not
> what it is about.  I guess in situations like this where some *
>
> *People like one name and some like another, we can use aliases???*

[Ross] I think this would be fairly easy to change in optimize.portfolio().
Currently the function only looks for "CVaR" as an objective name. The if
statements could just be extend to look for "CVaR", "ETL" or "ES" as an
objective name.