[GSoC-PortA] mapping function

Ross Bennett rossbennett34 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 6 18:34:09 CEST 2013

All,

I have a few thoughts on the hierarchy and how to transform weights that
violate constraints and would appreciate any input or feedback.

The process outlined below is what I am thinking of following for the
constraint mapping fn_map() function.

   - Step 1: Test weights vector for violation of min_sum or max_sum. If
   violated, transform the weights vector with rp_transform() taking into
   account both leverage and box constraints. Another option is to normalize
   the weights by transforming the entire vector like what is done
   constrained_objective()... is one way preferable over the other?
   - Step 2: Test weights vector for violation of min or max. If violated,
   transform the weights vector with rp_transform() taking into account both
   leverage and box constraints. If we can't generate a feasible portfolio,
   this is because min or max is too restrictive.  Try relaxing min or max.
   e.g., if min is violated, we could simply relax min by doing something like
   min <- min - 0.05 and try this N times to generate a feasible portfolio. Or
   we could randomly select an element of min and decrease it instead of
   modifying the entire vector.
   - Step 3: Test weights vector for violation of groups, cLO, or cUP. If
   violated, transform the weights vector with rp_transform() taking into
   account leverage, box, and group constraints. If we can't generate a
   feasible portfolio, try relaxing cLO or cUP. e.g., if cLO is violated, we
   could simply relax cLO by doing something like cLO <- cLO - 0.05 and try
   this N times to generate a feasible portfolio. Or we could randomly select
   an element of min and decrease it instead of modifying the entire vector.
   -
   - Step 4: Test weights vector for violation of max_pos. If violated,
   transform the weights vector with rp_transform() taking into account
   leverage, box, group, and position limit constraints.

Please advise if this is consistent with how you see the hierarchy in the
constraint mapping function working?

Thanks,
Ross