[GSoC-PortA] PortfolioAnalytics Testing

Ross Bennett rossbennett34 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 1 21:29:31 CET 2013

All,

With the optimization I've been doing in constrained_objective and now with
the ROI changes, I am really starting to appreciate a more formal testing
process instead of running demos and seeing what fails. I've started
playing with the testthat package and really like it.

I've had a look at quantstrat and plyr to see how the testthat package is
used. The main difference is that quantstrat uses the demo files whereas
plyr uses manually written test files. There are pros and cons to both
approaches... using the demos as the tests minimizes duplicate code, but
manual tests allow us to test specific things we may not need/want in the
demos.

I want to write some tests using testthat to include in PortfolioAnalytics,
but would like your guidance on what framework or approach to use before I
begin.

Ross