[GSoC-PortA] Objective Function: mean vs. pamean

Ross Bennett rossbennett34 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 17 02:09:10 CEST 2013

All,

This isn't critical or important, but thought I would put this out there to
the group. I was running some of the examples from the 2012 workshop script
and noticed that any optimization I ran with pamean was really slow.

In commit r2802 I added a testing script sandbox/testing_mean_vs_pamean.R
that has a simple example comparing the two. In my simple benchmark, pamean
is about 50 times slower. Intuitively I would expect pamean to be slower,
but not *that* much slower.

Is this normal? Any idea why this is so slow?

Thanks,
Ross