[GenABEL-dev] OmicABELnoMM and OpenMPI problem

L.C. Karssen lennart at karssen.org
Fri Oct 24 10:55:13 CEST 2014

Hi Alvaro,

When I ran 'make check' on OmicABELnoMM I got the following error message:

FAIL: tests/test_omicabelnomm
=============================

[barabas:25893] [[INVALID],INVALID] ORTE_ERROR_LOG: A system-required
executable either could not be found or was not executable by this user
in file ess_singleton_module.c at line 231
[barabas:25893] [[INVALID],INVALID] ORTE_ERROR_LOG: A system-required
executable either could not be found or was not executable by this user
in file ess_singleton_module.c at line 140
[barabas:25893] [[INVALID],INVALID] ORTE_ERROR_LOG: A system-required
executable
 either could not be found or was not executable by this user in file
runtime/orte_init.c at line 128
It looks like orte_init failed for some reason; your parallel process is
likely to abort.  There are many reasons that a parallel process can
fail during orte_init; some of which are due to configuration or
environment problems.  This failure appears to be an internal failure;
here's some additional information (which may only be relevant to an
Open MPI developer):

And some more (see attachment).

Googling for the error message it seems that this happens when you have
openMPI installed instead of MPICH2 [1]. After removing the openMPI
packages from my Ubuntu 14.04 installation the tests work as expected.
Do you have any idea why this is, or whether OAnMM can be made to accept
both of the MPI implementations (e.g. by letting autoconf detect which
library is present)?

Is there an advantage in using MPICH vs openMPI? I tried to find more on
the difference between the two implementations and there seem to be
advantages in both... What is your opinion as an HPC guy?

Best,

Lennart.

[1]
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7011519/mpiexec-fails-as-mpi-init-aborts