[GenABEL-dev] extremely long package load time due to checkPackageVersionOnCRAN() call on package load

Karl Forner karl.forner at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 14:10:42 CET 2012

Hello,

We use a lot GenABEL, and we have a very annoying issue with very long
package load time.
We figured out it was due to the checkPackageVersionOnCRAN() on package
load.
If the website is down, or if our own network or http proxy has issues, we
have to wait until the timeout expires.

We are not a big fan anyway of this update feature, at least not by
default: suppose that we run thousands of batch jobs a on cluster
that does not have internet acces, it does not seem reasonalble to spends
minutes for each jobs trying to connect without any hope of success
just to knwo if we have the latest version.

So we would like that either you disable this feature, or you make it
optional, or you provide a mechanism to disable it.

Do you think this is a reasonable request ?
If you agree, we could even try to help you implement it.

Best regards,

Karl Forner