[Fresh-tor4] ToR4 is back!

Iago Mosqueira iago.mosqueira at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 10:06:54 CEST 2009

Dear all,

Hope everything is well with all of you. The intention of this message
is to bring back to life this ToR4 in WG3 of FRESH. As you might
remember from our meeting in Vigo he tasked ourselves with assembling,
implementing and testing the indices and procedures proposed by
ToR1-3, plus any other we considered to be of interest.

This mailing list has been setup to help communication for ToR4 work,
and is hosted at the R-Forge space that has been allocated to FRESH W3
ToR4, https://r-forge.r-project.org/projects/fresh/ Once source code
is assembled it will be placed in the repository there. If you want to
get write access to the source code, so your changes can be uploaded,
you need to regsiter in http://r-forge.r-project.org/ and then let me
know of your username

As a reminder this is the list of tasks we agreed to carry out:

1) METHODS to compute alternative indices of Stock Reproductive
Pontential (SRP) identified by the other ToRs will be assembled. ToRs
1-3 should provide a mathematical description and any relevant
document to help implementation in FLR.   This will be used as an
opportuniy to review how the FLBiol class in FLR can accommodate the
necessary methods and data structures.

(2) Design and implement the relevant METHODS that will allow the
consideration of spatially-structured information in the process of
conditioning the biological side of the Operating Model (FLBiol) using
new indices and data on reproduction.

(3) PAPER on the value of information of considering spatial dynamics
in various indices of SRP. The effect of considering or not the true
spatial dynamics of SRP will be compared with the usual provision of
management advice based on spatially-unaware SSB as indices of
productivity. The impact on the risk of exceeding both target and
limit biological reference points will be assessed.

(4) Develop simple METHODS to model spatial correlation on Stock
Recruitment relationships across areas and their relationship with the
spatial variation of reproductive variables.

(5) PAPER on linking the spatial variability on reproductive variables
and the recruitment dynamics of stocks with different patterns of
spatial variability.

Maybe we can start by revisiting that list of tasks, and then try to
plan what, when and by who needs to be done to move those issues
forward.

Finally, this is the list of emails that this mailing list is directed
to. Please let me know if anybody is missing from it.

c.t.marshall at abdn.ac.uk
eandonegui at azti.es
ernesto at ipimar.pt
finlay.scott at cefas.co.uk