[datatable-help] Generating data.tables from a j function

Farrel Buchinsky fjbuch at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 20:14:11 CEST 2017

I am relatively certain that data.table can handle a function in the J
position that generates a data.frame or a data.table. However, how does one
handle the output? Can you please point me to a url that discusses the
capability?

For instance, I sometimes use the package dtables to generate descriptive
statistics. It generates a table for

So one could go

library(dtables)
dtable(dt)

But what if one wanted to get descriptive statistics by a trichotomous
variable

dt[ , dtable(.SD), by=trichotomous.variable]

*I am looking for a general article or blogpost about how to handle outputs
that are not single numbers or two numbers. *There are functions that yield
data.tables or lists or specialized objects such a models. Any suggestions?

I know one can simply print the output to the console

dt[ , print(dtable(.SD)_, by=trichotomous.variable]

But that does not let me do anything intelligent afterwards.
--
Farrel Buchinsky
(412) 567-7870 (gets me everywhere)