[datatable-help] Need help on the Lasso cox model with discrete time

Zhenchao Tang tangzhenchao_sdu at 126.com
Wed Jul 26 18:11:30 CEST 2017

Hi everyone,

We have been trying to construct a Lasso-cox model with discrete time. We
conducted follow-up examinations on the epileptic attack after tumor
surgical resection among glioma patients. The patients are followed-up in
the 6/12/24 months after surgical resection, which makes the epilepsy-free
time discrete (6/12/24 months). We calcluated many features from the
T2-images obtained  prior to the surgical resection. We aimed to used the
image features to conducted a cox proportional hazards analysis on the
epilepsy-free time in R.  Hereby, We have three questions:
1. Is the cox proportional hazards analysis appropriate for our study?
2. The epilepsy-free time is discrete. We suppose that we need to conduct a
cox analysis with discrete time. Is that right?
3. We acquired quite a lot image features, which makes the feature selection
imperative. We have planned to use the Lasso penalty for feature selection.
We notice that the 'coxnet'/'glmnet'/'penalized' package could be used to
construct the Lasso-cox model. Are they still appropriate for the cox
analysis with discrete time?

Sorry for the poor English expression.
We're still new to R. We're very grateful for any help.
Thank you very much!

Best Regard,
Zhenchao Tang

CAS Key Laboratory of Molecular Imaging, Institute of Automation,Beijing
100190, China