[datatable-help] Using data.table code in an interactive desktop application written in C# or Java

Nicolas Paris niparisco at gmail.com
Sun Apr 16 16:05:54 CEST 2017

Hi,

When manipulating huge datasets, the bottleneck is certainly not the
viz tool (shiny, c#, html5 etc).
This won't be data-manipulation part (you won't find faster than
data.table with c# manipulation since most part of data.table is C based).
The slow part of your tool is probably the data-loading phase.

Open-CPU allows to cache data when the opencpu services is starting.
This means each user querying your dataset won't have to wait until the
dataset is loaded into open-cpu memory. see
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12468574/are-data-objects-persistent-in-opencpus-r-session
Rserver and other stuff are quite old comparing to open-cpu. And I would
go with them.

Keep separate your view (html5, c#), backend (opencpu/R) and database
(opencpu/data.table). And one day you can moove to more flexible
architecture such backend (java/c#) and  database (distributed such hive) if
your dataset cannot feet into RAM memory.

But the opencpu way allows you to fast deploy something compatible with
your 10K lines of data.table/R code