[datatable-help] finding dt columns by partial name

carlsutton suttoncarl at ymail.com
Thu Mar 10 20:00:53 CET 2016

Hi

I did search but did not see an answer.

I have a dt with 580 + columns.  many of the columns will have variations of
a name to specifically identify them, ie, call23,Call111, doCall.now, etc.
Since I cannot recall the exact column names I have been resorting to    df
<- data.frame(dt)  and then
                             a <- grep("Call1", colnames(df))
                            colnames(df[a])

which then returns the columns names containing Call1.

If I try this with the data table ie, colnames(dt[a]) I get null.

Any suggestions?  I am feeling rather ignorant converting a dt back to a
data frame and available memory may be a concern further down the road.

Carl Sutton

-----
Carl Sutton