[datatable-help] hetcor error when variables are more than 30

mahadev orlovoleh at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 18:07:43 CET 2015

Hello friends,

I'm trying to do a factor analysis of a questionnaire of 243 items with
YES/NO (1/0) type answers. That's why I need a polychoric correlation
matrix. I'm trying to use hetcor() function from "polychor" package:

e <- read.xlsx2(file="ukon_1.xlsx", sheetIndex = 1, as.data.frame="true")
#this is to load my binary data
e1 <- hetcor(e) #this is to generate correlation matrix

And I get an error:

Error in optim(0, f, control = control, hessian = TRUE, method = "BFGS") :
  non-finite finite-difference value [1]

When I cut my data to up to 30 variables, everything is fine - I get a
correlation matrix. Any ideas how to fix that?

PS Sorry for my English - it's not my native language =(