[datatable-help] changing data.table by-without-by syntax to require a "by"

nachti kpm.nachtmann at gmail.com
Wed May 7 13:30:06 CEST 2014

Arunkumar Srinivasan wrote
> The change of the defaults in 1.9.3 breaks existing code, which shoud not
> be
> (see. DT FAQ 1.8).
> Thanks. Yes, that's what will be the case when it hits CRAN. There will be
> an option to use the older feature, IIUC. Matt can clarify this point
> further.
>
> I know that 1.9.3 is a development version, but I can't use 1.9.2 due to
> http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/Change-in-list-behavior-inside-join-td4687469.html
> Can you show us an example that 1.9.2 doesn't but 1.9.3 does?

Copied from
http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/Change-in-list-behavior-inside-join-td4687469.html

#####
Just another example (maybe to be included to test.data.table), which does
not do, what I expected (v. 1.9.2 - it's also fixed in 1.9.3)

> require(data.table)

> sessionInfo()
R version 3.1.0 (2014-04-10)
Platform: powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu (64-bit)
other attached packages:
[1] data.table_1.9.2

> example(data.table)
> DT
   x y  v v2  m
1: a 1 42 NA 42
2: a 3 42 NA 42
3: a 6 42 NA 42
4: b 1  4 84  5
5: b 3  5 84  5
6: b 6  6 84  5
7: c 1  7 NA  8
8: c 3  8 NA  8
9: c 6  9 NA  8

> setkey(DT)
> DT[J("a"), list(v, y)]
   x  v y
1: a 42 1
> DT[J("a"), list(v, y, i = "text")]
   x  v y    i
1: a 42 1 text

##### With data.table 1.9.3 it's working fine:
> require(data.table)

> sessionInfo()
R version 3.1.0 (2014-04-10)
Platform: powerpc64-unknown-linux-gnu (64-bit)
other attached packages:
[1] data.table_1.9.3

> example(data.table)

> setkey(DT)