[datatable-help] quote argument to fread

John Laing john.laing at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 16:17:04 CEST 2014

Is there any way to tell fread how to look for -- or not to look for --
quoted strings? In the standard read.table I can use quote="". Since I see
no such argument is there a good workaround?

The data I'm trying to read are not quoted, in the sense that quotes do not
define the beginning and end of fields. However there are quoted strings
that sometimes appear inside a field, and those should be preserved when
after reading. And sometimes, the quoted strings inside the field are
actually at the beginning of the field, so fread thinks that the field
itself is quoted and errors with a message that it expected to see a field
separator but instead saw more text.

Thanks,
John