[datatable-help] Slides for useR! data.table tutorial

Matt Dowle mdowle at mdowle.plus.com
Fri Jun 13 10:24:29 CEST 2014

Hi Michael,

It happens automatically.  See NEWS for v1.9.2 :

o  New optimization: GForce. Rather than grouping the data, the group locations are passed into
      grouped versions of sum and mean (gsum and gmean) which then compute the result for all groups
      in a single sequential pass through the column for cache efficiency. Further, since the g*
      function is called just once, we don't need to find ways to speed up calling sum or mean
      repetitively for each group. Plan is to add gmin, gmax, gsd, gprod, gwhich.min and gwhich.max.
      Examples where GForce applies now :
        DT[,sum(x,na.rm=),by=...]                       # yes
        DT[,list(sum(x,na.rm=),mean(y,na.rm=)),by=...]  # yes
        DT[,lapply(.SD,sum,na.rm=),by=...]              # yes
        DT[,list(sum(x),min(y)),by=...]                 # no. gmin not yet available, only sum and mean so far.
      GForce is a level 2 optimization. To turn it off: options(datatable.optimize=1)
      Reminder: to see the optimizations and other info, set verbose=TRUE

Matt