[datatable-help] Reading spss files

Steve Lianoglou lianoglou.steve at gene.com
Wed Jan 8 20:40:08 CET 2014

Hi Veronica,

2014/1/8 INEC Verónica Vaca <Veronica_Vaca at inec.gob.ec>

>  Dear Members of the list
>
> I am trying to read some large spss files but I only found ways to read
> them and converting them in data frames.
>
> Is there a function in the package data.table that allow import
> files.sav???
>
> Or a way to combine this package with the other packages for importing
> data??

I've never used it, but it looks like the package 'foreign'  can read (some
types of?) SPSS data and import into R:

http://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/foreign/index.html

If the data is amenable to become a data.table (ie. it's data.frame -like)
you can convert it "in the usual way."

Note that in the development version of data.table, Arun has implemented a
setDT method which converts a data.frame to a data.table without making a
copy, which might be helpful to you if your data.frame eats up enough RAM.

HTH,
-steve

--
Steve Lianoglou