[datatable-help] Cannot use fread with data.table 1.8.10

Matthew Dowle mdowle at mdowle.plus.com
Tue Sep 3 20:34:37 CEST 2013

That's very odd.   Phew - glad it's working now though!

All I can think is that it was to do with the install process on Windows
when an R process is open at the same time with data.table loaded in
it.  We've had similar issues in the past sometimes where a reboot
followed by reinstall of data.table works.    The reboot ensures that
every last nuance of .dll usage is cleared. And the reboot also ensures
that all versions of R are shut down.    Linux seems much better at
updating shared objects (.so) which are in use by processes,  although
similar problems have been reported on Linux too when (my best guess is)
a zombie process holds up something in the install process.      Only
one or two reports, mind you.

The error about integer64 suggests that maybe the byte code didn't match
up with the DLL code (since that's a new argument). Something like that,
anyway, maybe.