[datatable-help] rbind() vs. rbindlist() behavior/warning

dnlbrky danielrlabar at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 17:39:08 CET 2013

Arunkumar Srinivasan wrote
> `rbindlist` gained speed (to some extent) by assuming things like this and
> skipping checks in the first place. So, should we include checks like
> this? Also, if "rbind" and/or "rbindlist" are made to do the exact same
> thing, then, what's the purpose of "rbindlist"?

My vote for the purpose of rbindlist is to continue to be a fast version of
rbind for data.tables, while providing as much functionality as possible.
Could the functionality be optional?  In "bare bones mode" it would be super
fast, and in "full featured mode" it would probably be faster than rbind but
slower than "bare bones".

Like Garrett, I would like to have the option of binding by column names in
rbindlist.  In addition, it would be great if rbindlist could handle missing
columns.  The smartbind function in  gtools
<http://cran.stat.ucla.edu/web/packages/gtools/index.html>   does both of
these.