[datatable-help] Bug report #5100 reg.

Arunkumar Srinivasan aragorn168b at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 13:09:01 CET 2013

Hi everybody,

It'd be nice if you could weigh-in on the bug report filed by Bill here:
https://r-forge.r-project.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=5100&group_id=240&atid=975

The gist of it is:

require(data.table)
DT <- data.table(x=1:5, y=6:10, z=11:15)
DT[, y] # returns a vector
DT[, "y", with=FALSE] # returns a data.table

The question from the bug report basically is: "why is that in the first case, 'j' has only one column and we get a vector, but in the second case, we get a data.table?"

My question is: Is this behaviour okay or do you prefer that the first one returns a data.table as well or the second one (with "with=FALSE") returns a vector?

Thank you,
Arun