[datatable-help] Unexpected behavior in setnames()

Steve Lianoglou lianoglou.steve at gene.com
Fri Nov 8 21:29:44 CET 2013

> Steve,
> Maybe, but it's just getting started :) - we now have to decide what's
> ambiguous!

So close, yet so far ...

> Ex: Is subsetting by column number considered ambiguous (By definition of
> ambiguous, probably not)? But then it'd be inconsistent with subsetting when
> column names are provided.. So, should we prioritise consistency over
> function in this scenario?

Sorry, can you provide examples of each?

I'd imagine doing anything by column number is unambiguous, but I'm
not sure how you can subset by column index and by column name in a
"similar" fashion.

I mean dt[[1]] should work no matter what, dt[['a']] would work only
if there is only one column named 'a' ... but I don't think this is
what you are talking about?

Sorry if I'm being obtuse,

-steve

--