[datatable-help] progress % in fread

Matthew Dowle mdowle at mdowle.plus.com
Thu May 23 13:55:11 CEST 2013

On 23.05.2013 08:18, statquant3 wrote:
> Hey, progressbar would be fancy of course, but the old [75%] updating
> on the
> screen was good enough.

> I did not get your point about knitr, if this is added back as an
> option
> (disabled by default) why would knitr complain about it ?

It wouldn't, if left off. In my mind was a user might soon turn on the
global option in
their .Rprofile,  and then it may mess up in knitr. Causing them to
hunt online and possibly ask about that as an apparent bug.
The \r output may affect some tests too (if they check output to the
console, which some do), say if user had progress turned on and then ran
test.data.table().

In contrast a tkProgressBar would consistently work in all environments
without any risk
of problems caused by the \r, and without user needing to switch it off
and on. Yes more
fancy but practical reasons too.