[datatable-help] Better hacks?: getting a vector AND using 'with'; inserting chunks of rows

Frank Erickson FErickson at psu.edu
Wed May 8 22:00:25 CEST 2013

For your first question, this should work:

dt[row.num,][[col.name]]

For the second question, I guess your problem goes away if you aren't using
an (all but) NULL data.table.

dt <- data.table(x=1,y=1)
nr <- data.table(NA,NA)

rbind(dt,nr,use.names=FALSE)
#    x  y
#1:  1  1
#2: NA NA

So, if you're dynamically growing your data.table from nothing, you'll only
have to assign the colnames once, after the data.table becomes non-empty.
I've read that R is pretty inefficient at dynamically growing things, ...as
you say, it's a copy operation, right?

I hope this helps.

Best,

Frank