[datatable-help] merge/join/match

Arunkumar Srinivasan aragorn168b at gmail.com
Fri May 3 19:01:06 CEST 2013

I am wondering if performing X[Y] as a "merge" in correspondence with R's base "merge", if the basic idea of "i" becomes confusing. That is, when "i" is not a data.table in X[i] it indexes by rows. When `i` is a data.table, instead of the current definition which is in par with the subletting operation that use `i` (here data.table) as an index to subset X and then JOIN both X and Y, we say, here X and Y are data.tables and we perform a merge. I think this becomes confusing regarding the purpose of `i`.

Remember that the main purpose of having the X[Y] is to have the flexibility of using `j` to to filter/subset only the desired columns. So, for example if you want to get 1 column of Y out of 100 columns when joining, you do: X[Y, list(cols_of_x, one_col_of_y)] and here, it doesn't go with the traditional definition of merge.

As much as I like the idea of having consistent syntax, I also love the feature of X[Y, j]. So I'm confused as to how to deal with this.

Arun