[datatable-help] Sample fread failure

Dieter Menne dieter.menne at menne-biomed.de
Wed Jul 17 16:32:08 CEST 2013

Here is an example from the output of nonmem (Pharmacokinetic program) which
could profit a lot from a fast reader. However, I was not successful in
getting fread to do the job, probably because of ( in the header, which I
cannot change.

You can download the data and program from

http://www.menne-biomed.de/uni/freadBayes.zip

library(data.table)
# These files are MUCH larger normally, and one has to
# skip the first line. Since fread does not have a skip
# I have manually removed it from the sample
## This works (yes, sep="", don't know why)
dcsv = read.table("BAYES.EXT",header=TRUE,sep="")
# this seems to work, but gives wrong results.
# Possibly the ( ) in the column names kill it
d = fread("BAYES.EXT",sep=" ")