[datatable-help] Avoiding print when using := ?

Allan Engelhardt allane at cybaea.com
Fri Sep 14 14:19:47 CEST 2012

On 14/09/12 12:22, Steve Lianoglou wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 1:56 AM, Allan Engelhardt (CYBAEA)
> <allane at cybaea.com> wrote:
>> On 13/09/12 23:42, Steve Lianoglou wrote:
>>> Perhaps the `nrows` param in print.data.table should be user
>>> configurable by some `option`, maybe something like:
>>>
>>> print.data.table <- function(x,
>>> nrows=getOption('datatable.print.nrows', 100), ...) { ... }
>>>
>>> Then you could `options(datatable.print.nrows=20)` if 100 is too high ...
>>>
>>> Maybe?
>>>
>>> -steve
>>
>> I really like this suggestion. You could perhaps even set it to 0
>> temporarily while you were doing lots of := work. Do you want to raise a
>> feature request Steve?
> I just committed code to SVN to support this.

Thanks! I look forward to this one making its way to the released versions.

> The other thing is that this really doesn't address the `:=` printing
> behavior specifically, so not sure how helpful this is in the long run
> unless you don't mind calling `print` to view things explicitly.

I love calling print [1] so this one works for me. Thanks again.

Allan

[1] No, really: I do! There are too many side effects in R as it is, so
for training I like to be explicit. Also I find that a lot of students
have never heard of the print() function which is kind of a shame....