[datatable-help] check.names in [] operator

Yang Zhang yanghatespam at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 04:49:11 CET 2012

Oh, an example is when I have a column named "Account Name" it gets
munged into "Account.Name".  That's why I was referring to the
check.names argument (same as in other places like read.table).

Actually, I think I was mistaken in thinking that data.table supported
un-munged names at all - I'm not in front of R at the moment but IIRC
when I ran data.table(data.frame('a b'=1), check.names=F) I would get
a column named "a.b".  But I could be completely wrong.

In any case I'm pretty sure after using operator [] any un-munged
names get munged.

Thanks

On Thu, Mar 8, 2012 at 4:37 PM, Matthew Dowle <mdowle at mdowle.plus.com> wrote:
> name-munging? Example please.
>
> On Thu, 2012-03-08 at 15:06 -0800, Yang Zhang wrote:
>> Hi, is there any way to prevent name-munging when [] is used? The
>> data.table constructor supports check.names but as soon as a join is
>> performed the names are munged. Thanks.

Yang Zhang
http://yz.mit.edu/