[datatable-help] datatable-help Digest, Vol 28, Issue 2

Yike Lu yikelu.home at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 18:55:23 CEST 2012

On 6/7/2012 12:46 PM, Juliet Hannah wrote:
> Hi Yike,
>
> In Matthew's email, he writes:
>
> So in other words, when i has no key it's the first column of i to the
> first column of x's key, the 2nd column of i to the 2nd column of x's key,
> etc.
Right, I figured that was the part which was supposed to answer the
question, however the language is ambiguous in Matt's reply, which is
why I asked for clarification. If what you're saying is the case, then
what the docs should say is something along the lines of...

"If i is not keyed, then data.table performs a join on a positional
match between the columns of i and the keys of X. In other words, a join
is performed on (column 1 of i, column 1 of key of X, then column 2 of
i, column 2 of key of X, etc...)"

Don't have to use my wording, but the original was ambiguous to me.

Cheers,
Yike