[datatable-help] data.table 1.8.2 now on CRAN

Matthew Dowle mdowle at mdowle.plus.com
Wed Jul 18 23:13:14 CEST 2012

Due to some off list comments and questions :

1. Although on CRAN, it may not have found its way to all mirrors yet. If
you can't wait, check the CRAN mirror status page :

    http://cran.r-project.org/mirmon_report.html

For example if you're in Australia that currently shows cran.csiro.au as
24 hours stale (iiuc) and which mirrors are more up to date.

2. Don't (now) install from R-Forge. It's been in "building" state for
over a day now due to upstream issues (I guess). Can't trust the tarball
either from R-Forge (i.e. installing from source from R-Forge), stale. The
*only* method that is always safe on R-Forge is an 'svn up' followed by R
CMD build followed by R CMD INSTALL.

3. We always get one or two bug reports just after release from
installations where, somehow, it turns out the upgrade hasn't properly
installed. This appears to be a (likely rare) R thing which I've never
worked out. I suspect it's related to having older R sessions (possibly
zombie) holding some sort of lock. If this is raised as a possibility,
users have to date always reported that a reboot and re-install of
data.table fixed it. I've never experienced this myself. But I'm careful
to close down all R sessions, check with "ps aux | grep R", first, before
upgrading. If you observe a failed upgrade and work out why, please let me
know!

4. If you're on Windows, the Windows binary hasn't been built on CRAN yet
but the estimate is tomorrow. Only Linux and Mac versions are available
from CRAN already.

Anyway ... to check your installation that's why test.data.table() is
provided for user use, and, why in the NOTES section of NEWS it is written
how many tests that version has.

To test your installation :

require(data.table)
test.data.table()
... snip ...
All 717 tests in test.data.table() completed ok in 54.099sec

If it says 717, then you're 100% good.

Matthew