[datatable-help] Cryptic error with $<- and :=

Timothée Carayol timothee.carayol at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 22:16:05 CET 2012

Hi all,

One for Matthew I guess. Not really reproducible, as in, I don't know what
causes it, but it occurs consistently in the particular instance I find
myself in.

It produces an error message which may be clearer to Matthew than to me:

A[, dupl:=1]
Error in `[.data.table`(A, , `:=`(dupl, 1)) :
  Internal logical error: this is R >= 2.14.0, class is not marked but tl
is 100 rather than 0

likewise,

A$dupl <- 1
Error in `[<-.data.table`(x, j = name, value = value) :
  Internal logical error: this is R >= 2.14.0, class is not marked but tl
is 19 rather than 0

but,

A[['dupl']] <- 1
is fine.

This is on data.table 1.7.7.
Did anyone see this error message before?