[datatable-help] dancing with alloc.col

Matthew Dowle mdowle at mdowle.plus.com
Thu Aug 9 00:57:36 CEST 2012

> Thanks for the quick and patient response, as it was indeed my own fault.

Hardly your fault. The 1000 over-allocation check hasn't come up before
and it isn't documented.

> In the interest of debugging I had set options(warn=3)

Ah, that makes sense. Although 3 is the same as 2 afaik; i.e., 2 or larger
means warnings are turned into errors.

> as well as
> options(datatable.verbose=TRUE); setting warn=0 does indeed allow my code
> to run to satisfactory completion.

Great, glad the workaround works. I'll still look at downgrading or
removing that warning.

> I have to stop ignoring the subtle (to me) messages R throws; in this
> case, "Error in ... (converted from warning)".
>
> So a followup general R question is, if I use options(warn=0), my .Rout
> contains a line like "There were 46 warnings (use warnings() to see
> them)". If instead I wrap the := statements with suppressWarnings(), I
> don't get that. Is there a way to suppress the "There were n warnings"
> message?

Oops, I meant oldwarn=options(warn=-1) (or any negative value according to
?options) before the loop, to ignore the warnings. Then after the loop
setback to the old value: options(warn=oldwarn).