[datatable-help] Long vectors in R

Matthew Dowle mdowle at mdowle.plus.com
Wed Apr 18 16:22:56 CEST 2012

Oh. How can you tell that (that it's for 2.16 and a year away)?

For completeness, it'll be a bigger difference (and for more people) using
matrix (and objects using matrix) than data.table I'd guess? Since a
matrix is really one long vector, a single matrix can then be greater than
16Gb (currently n*m < 2^31-1, iiuc). In data.table (and data.frame) each
column can already up to 16Gb, and the data.table/frame as large as RAM.
The 2 billion row limit can still bite though and the change is very
welcome.

Matthew