[datatable-help] Long vectors in R

Matthew Dowle mdowle at mdowle.plus.com
Wed Apr 18 11:15:16 CEST 2012

Dear datatablers,

Looks like support for long vectors is being added to R :

http://stat.ethz.ch/R-manual/R-devel/doc/html/NEWS.html

Since data.table hooks into R's internals, it is already failing on
r-devel CRAN checks (as Prof Ripley warning us a while back).

So, I'll see what I can do, but advance warning that we might need to soon
depend on R 2.15.1 (or whichever version of R long vectors makes it into).
However, I'd say there was an 80% chance it'll be compile time switches
and we can continue to depend on R 2.12.0 in future versions of
data.table.