[datatable-help] Suggest a cool feature: Use data.table like a sorted / indexed data.list?

Branson Owen branson.owen at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 15:38:17 CEST 2010

> If you'd like to implement the improvements then you are very welcome to
> join the project and commit the changes. I'm happy to answer questions
> about the internals and give ideas and suggestions, as I'm sure Tom is too.
> Matthew

Yes, you are already doing it. I sincerely appreciate it. I have also
been thinking to contribute to the community I enjoyed a lot, but I
know my level is still a step away from a user to developer. Need a
few months to pick up the skills if time allow. Thank you very much
for the invitation.

> The display problem though is to do with *non-vectors* as columns
> (FR#202) which is not yet implemented. A data.table is not a vector, but
> is a list, despite a list being a vector. It probably seems picky but
> it's a big difference internally.

I am thinking to inherit or modify the display method from data.frame
since it already can display non-vector column correctly. Just need to
limit the size of display I think.