[datatable-help] Playing nice(r) with S4?

Tue Nov 23 20:25:41 CET 2010

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 1:56 PM, Tom Short <tshort.rlists at gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
> That would probably work fine for most of my uses, but I'm worried
> about consistency with data frames. data.frame defaults to
> auto-conversion and has a stringsAsFactors argument that defaults to
> default.stringsAsFactors() that in turn uses
> options('stringsAsFactors'). Here's a tentative vote for adding a
> stringsAsFactors argument that works like data.frame's. The down sides
> are an added argument and use of a global option.

I'm not sure I see the same pitfalls of having an extra argument,
since it has a (reasonable) default value and I think it can largely
be ignored by the user w/o really changing how data.table(...) works
now in any surprising way.

Anyway, I think I'm a +1 for the stringsAsFactors param.

--
Steve Lianoglou